We have spotted a new patent where we can clearly see Canon is working on variable aperture based RF series zoom lens. The lens covers 70-300mm with an aperture range of F4-5.6 aperture.
- zoom ratio: 4.11
- Focal length: 71.40 ~ 136.34 ~ 293.23 mm
- F number the: 3.94 ~ 4.72 ~ 5.83
- Half angle of view: 16.86 – 9.02 – 4.22
- Image height: 21.64 mm
- Lens length: 165.00 – 202.03 – 235.83 mm
- Back focus: 12.14 – 31.67 – 72.45 mm L2 is for IS group.
It looks bit logical too since Canon EOS RP camera is made for entry-level users and they do need affordable lenses to start with. I do believe the 70-300 F4-5.6 lens will arrive at the end or very beginning of 2019.